Roadmaps for Power System Transformation: Key Enabling Factors for Variable Renewable Energy Deployment
Day: Monday, 5th of October
Time: 18:00 – 19:30
Power systems are among the largest and most complex systems ever created by humans. Transforming them will be a correspondingly complex process, driven by technological advances, policy goals and social change. vRE is playing an increasingly large role in the story of global power sector transformation, and while the challenge to sustain deployment and soundly integrate resources remains great, a wealth of experience is accruing globally that can be put to good use. This side event aims to share such experiences, and spur dialogue on global best practices in vRE policy and regulation. It will also highlight technical resources made available by 21CPP and CESC in the space.
This event will bring together stakeholders from around the world to discuss policy and regulatory approaches to promoting a healthy vRE market, including discussion of procurement issues, technical integration challenges, planning practices, and principles for stimulating and sustaining healthy vRE markets. The session will begin by a series of concise and thought-provoking presentations on international experiences, followed by a moderated discussion with ample time for questions and comments from the audience.
21st Century Power Partnership (21CPP) and Clean Energy Solutions Center (CESC)
List of speakers:
- Dr. Douglas Arent, Executive Director, 21st Century Power Partnership
- S.K. Soonee, CEO, Power System Operation Corporation Ltd. Of India
- Edward James-Smith, Special Advisor, Danish Energy Agency
- Dr. Tobias Bischof-Niemz, Energy Centre Chief, Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Barry MacColl, General Manager – Research, Testing & Development, Eskom