Creating an inclusive financing framework
Day: Sunday, 4th of October
Time: 14:30 – 16:00
The Development Bank of Southern Africa (“DBSA”) has been at the forefront of South Africa’s widely acclaimed Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (“REIPPPP”, the “Programme”). The Bank has been instrumental in ensuring economic development at grassroots level through its support for local empowerment of South African citizens and groupings of local communities in the projects within the Programme.
There are certain financing constraints faced by local entities seeking to obtain equity stakes in the projects. The financing framework developed by the DBSA entails the provision of funding to assist local players to partner with strategic international renewable energy developers and take up equity stakes in the projects. In addition, DBSA provides debt facilities to the project companies.
This inclusive financing framework has been applied on 18 projects the Bank is currently supporting, 12 are in the operations phase. Significant participation at the project company level and operations level of these projects will ensure skills transfer into the country, which can also be exported into the rest of the continent. By pioneering this inclusive innovative and efficient financing framework, the Bank has managed to unlock local participation as more and more of these renewable energy projects become operational.
- Introduction and Welcome: Ms Lucy Chege, General Manager: Infrastructure Finance – Energy, Development Bank of Southern Africa
- Policy Perspective on Facilitating Local Participation – Ms Karén Breytenbach, Head: IPP Office, Department of Energy
- DBSA’s Financing Support Instruments – Ms Lucy Chege, General Manager: Infrastructure Finance – Energy, Development Bank of Southern Africa
- Perspectives on Facilitating Community Involvement – Mr Paballo Makosholo, Chief Financial Officer, Kagiso Charitable Trust
- Perspectives on Financing Local Participation – Mr Pancho Ndebele, Chief Executive Officer, Emvelo
- Q & A
List of speakers: