Day: Sunday, 4th of October
Time: 10:00 – 11:30
Room: Hall 1A
The BAPEPSA Joined Development Team invites you to join the discussion on the uptake of biomass as an energy source for on- and off-grid electricity supply. The BAPEPSA initiative is a government to government co-operation between the Netherlands and South Africa. The lead government bodies facilitating this co-operation are South Africa’s Department of Public Enterprises, Department of Energy and the Netherland’s Enterprise Agency.
The BAPEPSA initiative is focused on exploring biomass utilisation for electricity generation using woody and agricultural biomass. The project will define the requirements for creating an enabling environment for the large scale uptake of forestry and agricultural biomass for electricity production in South Africa. The project will consider current and future biomass potential (local and regional), national strategies and directives, as well as possible solutions to identified barriers to biomass utilisation.
The BAPEPSA Joint Development Team is keen on engaging with industry specialists and interested parties on Opportunities, Barriers and Solutions for increased Utilization of Biomass for Electricity Production in South Africa. The information gathered through this dialogue will be used by the BAPEPSA Joint Development Team in the formulation of their final output.
Organiser: BAPEPSA joint development team
10h00-10h10 Welcome and Opening (DPE)
10h10-10h20 The Importance of the BAPEPSA Project in the South African context (Eskom)
10h20-10h30 International Biomass Policies & Techniques (RVO)
10h30-10h40 Overview of Biomass in South Africa (Stellenbosch University)
10h40-11h20 Interaction between public and panel on Opportunities, Barriers and Solutions for increased Utilization of Biomass for Electricity Production in South Africa (Panellist: Eskom, DPE, RVO, DoE, SANEDI)
11h20-11h30 Closing Remarks (NL Embassy)
List of speakers:
- Kgathatso Tlhakudi (Deputy Director General, Manufacturing Enterprises, Department of Public Enterprises – DPE) (TBC)
- Matshela Koko (Group Executive Technology and Commercial, Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd)
- Kees Kwant (Senior Expert Bioenergy and Biobased Economy, the Netherlands Enterprise Agency – RVO)
- Wikus van Niekerk (Director Centre for Renewable and Sustainable Energy Studies, Stellenbosch University)
- Bonnie Horbach (Consul General of the Netherlands) (TBC)
- Nomawethu Qase (Director Renewable Energy Initiatives, Department of Energy – DoE)
- Thembakazi Mali (Senior Manager Clean Energy, South African National Energy Development Institute – SANEDI)