Day: Sunday, 4th of October
Time: 10:00 – 11:30
IRENA is implementing a virtual marketplace for renewable energy projects in eastern and southern Africa by offering a platform to facilitate these projects. The market place supports project initiation, development and financing by bringing together project owners, financiers, governments and service providers. IRENA, through this platform, will help the market players by offering its existing tools and databases in an easily accessible way.
The objective of the platform is to mobilise financing, especially private financing, for renewable energy projects in the region. The objective of the event is to showcase the new platform for market players, demonstrate how it works, what are the benefits, and invite the market players to join the platform. Using efficient search functions market players can screen opportunities according to their specific needs. For example, investors can screen projects according to their specific investment criteria, and project owners can screen information about advisors and financiers according to their specific needs. This platform will improve the transparency of renewable energy market in the region. The platform will provide active facilitation for projects to become bankable by proposing expertise and funding sources for their specific needs, guiding them through the project development stage until the financial close.
- Opening and welcome, Adnan Amin, Director General, IRENA
- Demo and presentation of IRENA’s Sustainable Energy Marketplace, Aleksi Lumijarvi, Programme Officer, Renewable Energy Finance, IRENA
Statements by invited speakers
- Wim Jonker Klunne, Programme Director, Energy and Environment Partnership with Southern and Eastern Africa (EEP), KPMG
- Linus Mofor, Senior Energy and Climate Change Expert, UNECA
- Peter Storey, Global Coordinator, CTI PFAN